Top knots have become a very popular men’s hairstyle in the last few years. Moreover, what is a better way to keep your hair off your back on a hot summer’s day than to slick it back into a trendy top knot hairstyle?
Top Knot For Men: A To Z
A top knot is similar to the fashionable man bun. The difference is that a top knot is closer to the top of the head and take only half of your hair. While the man bun is more toward the back and is generally styled to create a knotted texture and take all of your hair. If you have a mid-length to long hair and you are looking for an alternative to the standard man bun, a top knots could be just what you are looking for.
Initially top knot start in Asian hairstyle, it may mean the following:
- Chonmage – a men haircut traditional for Japan;
- Khokhol, oseledets – a male cut traditional for Ukraine;
- Man bun – a contemporary variation on an Asian hair knot, popular on the West since the 2010s;
- Sangtu – Korean hairstyle that Joseon Dynasty men sported after getting married;
- Sidelock of youth – a Mid Kingdom Egyptian kid hairstyle that children of pharaohs used to wear to emphasize that they were associated with Horus the child;
- Sikha – an orthodox hair look that a priest of Hindus would wear when performing temple rituals;
- The Suebian knot – a men hairstyle that the members of the Germanic Suebi tribe are believed to wear;
- Tikitiki – a variant of a mens top knot that Maori men who hold a high rank wear;
- Touji – a male bun that men in China wore starting from ancient days till the Ming Dynasty ended. Priests who practice Taoism wear it too.
How To Make A Top Knot
Follow these steps to create long hairstyles for men top knot:
- Determine where you want to place the top knot. Typically, it should be in the center of your head right on the top. If you want to mix it up, you can place it a little bit off-center.
- Gather all of your hair as though styling a man bun. When your sides and back are shaved in an undercut, you could use all of your hair. If not you should use about 6 to 10 inches of your hair.
- Take an elastic band or hair tie and pull the hair through it once.
- Make a second pull to form the top knot.
- Do not tie it too tight. This could lead to hair loss as well as headache.
Everyone’s hair is different so you might need to practice a bit to get the style that works best for you. If you are still having trouble, you can find a tutorial video on Instagram, Pinterest or YouTube.
Will A Man Bun Or Top Knot Suit Your Face Shape?
No matter whether you are going for a man bun or a top knot, it is important to choose the style that is flattering for your face shape. So, how does one know whether these hairdos match their facial features or not? Here is our quick rundown.
- If you happen to have an oval or square face, then all we can say is lucky you are! Both a top knot and a man bun suit perfectly these shapes. Men with square faces should turn to an angular top knot complemented with bald sides for an added accent to their facial features. As for the bun, they can try out different styles but should be careful with overly contrasty looks.
- Oval-faced guys are free to choose any style. Yet, try not to run to extremes, as this can ruin your perfect proportions.
- If you have a triangle face shape, it means that your jawline is quite heavy. Thus, you can balance it out with a man bun.
- The same concerns men with diamond faces, who should also remember that their hairstyle should not emphasize their ears.
- Those whose faces are heart-shaped will avoid most man bun and top knot styles. Because they put an unnecessary emphasis on their prominent forehead. One way to pull off this look for them is to go for a messy bun and frame the face with a fringe and loose strands of hair.
- A man bun can look quite flattering for guys with oblong faces when it is not tied high on top. To avoid making your face look even longer, opt for a low bun. A top knot, however, cannot be your hairstyle of choice, as it will add extra height because of the shaved sides.
- It is hard to think of a better option for guys with a round face shape than a top knot that is angular and undercut. In this way, you will make your sides look squarer and elongate the face. A man bun though will just make your traits appear softer and rounder, so it is better to avoid it.
How To Maintain And Style The Top Knot
Now that you know how to do top knot, it is important to know how to maintain and style these men’s long hairstyles. Follow these tips to keep your hair stylish and healthy.
- Shampoo your hair only two or three times a week as this will keep your scalp and hair from getting dry.
- Use dry shampoo between washings. You should wash it one day, condition it the next and dry shampoo the third, as a rule. Keep repeating this process to keep your hair healthy.
Source: @urednistvo.pricesk.robert via Instagram
Top Knot Hairstyles
While a top know is essentially an undercut man bun, there are tons of ways to pull off the look. So that you could pick the style that resonates with you, we have put together the trendiest male top knots below.
Clean Undercut Fade
Do you strive to look effortless and casual? Then a sleek top knot is a way to go for you. Run your fingers through the locks and pull them all back. Tie in quite a loose knot for a more relaxed appearance. To achieve an even sleeker result, comb your hair before you style it.
Curly Top Knot For A Black Men
If you want to combine a top knot and black hair, you can form a top knot bun close to the top of your head. Simply gather all of your hair as you would while forming a man bun, but form it closer to the middle of your head. Leave it loose in the front to add some volume.
This style looks great with a bushy beard and mustache that is trimmed close to your face.
Source: @londonschoolofbarbering via Instagram
Two-Level Hair Design
One of the best ways to upgrade a classic top knot hairstyle is to adorn it with hair design. Where to get it is up to you to decide, as well as what pattern to go for. Yet, we would suggest opting for design on the back of your head, as there is plenty of room to pull off even your most creative ideas.
Source: @hairraribarber via Instagram
Knot With Undercut And Tapered Sides
This hairstyle is for real fashionists, as it combines several trendy cuts in one. The sides are tapered so that the top appears undercut, which creates a striking contrast. In such a way, you don’t sacrifice the length of your locks, which is really beneficial if you’ve spent ages growing them out.
Source: @ahmetaslanhairsalon via Instagram
Long Hair High Knot
A long hair high knot is an elongated take on the Sokka haircut. It features a small bundle on top so that the hair does not get in your way. The rest of the locks are left loose, so you do not have to sacrifice their length.
High Knot With Undercut
Can you think of another haircut combo that would go together as nicely as a top knot and an undercut? We neither. It gives you multiple styling options, as there are plenty of ways how you can have your hair undercut as well as ways of styling your high knot.
Knotted Cornrow Braids
To add an intricate twist to your top knot, you may pair it with knotted cornrow braids. If you want to achieve a really elaborate and quirky look, it is better to entrust the task to a pro. Also, you can complement a man bun with fade for a stylish touch.
Source: @dynasty_barbers via Instagram
Undercut hair styles are so in right now, and an undercut fade with topknots is a super cool way to show off your undercut men’s hairstyles. Close-shaved sides and back to form a slick undercut with a messy top knot and flyaway hair hanging down the side are very sexy-looking. Add up a neatly trimmed beard to drive all the women wild!
Half-Up Top Knot For Men With Wavy Hair
Men with naturally wavy hair are the envy of both other men and women. If you got it, why not flaunt it? Instead of pulling your hair into a full top knot men hairstyle, you could wear a half knot instead so you could allow your wavy hair flow freely.
Merely pull the desired amount of hair into a half top knot and then use some sea salt spray to add volume and texture to the remaining hair.
Full Knot For Men With Curly Hair
Updo curly hairstyles for men are the ideal solution for men with curly hair, and there is nothing better than a curly top knot. This style is great for those hot summer days or windy days. When you want your hair out of your way and off your neck, but still, want to rock your curls with some style.
Pull your hair into a top knot as usual, but let the bun loose. Curly updos should be teased with just a bit of hairspray or mousse to add texture.
Source: @shawn_barbz via Instagram
Braids In A Knot
If you want a look that’s a bit more avant-garde, you should consider a man braid. Man braids are a great style option for men with medium to long hair. All you need to do is make a French braid starting at the front of your head, stopping it in the midsection on the top and then pull the rest of your hair into a top knot. You can leave it loose to add some volume and texture. The French braid man bun looks really hip with shaved sides.
Half-Up Top Knot And Dreads
Did you know that you can combine two trendy hairstyles in one? If you normally wear dreads, the desire to pull off a top knot is not the reason to get rid of them. You can pull your dreadlocks into a half up top knot and kill two birds with one stone.
Knot And Beard
For those guys who are after more contrasty and edgy looks, there’s an option too. Get a high skin fade on the sides and disconnect them from your top knot with a shaved in line that traces your hairline. No matter how long your hair on top is, you’re sure to get a killer look.
Textured Top Knot With Hair Tattoo
Hair tattoos are also popular among black men hairstyles. Hair tattoos are a great style option you can change them up each time you go to the barber. Ask for an undercut and shaved sides. Style the length of your hair into a textured top knot to show off your hair tattoo.
Source: @londonschoolofbarbering via Instagram
Tight Top Knot With An Edgy Hair Design
Razored hair designs or hair tattoos are a great way to show off your edgy style. Hair designs for men and women are in high demand right now. This bold look with a tight top knot will prove that you aren’t afraid to show off a look that is a bit off the beaten path.
Source: @nickthebarber via Instagram
Short Sides Top Knot
If you’re looking for an office-appropriate top knot hairstyle, you’ve found it! With short sides, your top knot looks elegant and dapper. Use your trusty hair styling product to eliminate any flyaways and add a touch of sheen. Such a hairdo comes out so neat that you can easily team it with a thick clean-cut beard.
Source: @londonschoolofbarbering via Instagram
If you don’t need to follow a dress code or you simply don’t like preppy hairstyles, you’re welcome to tie your hair in a messy top knot. Forget about a comb or brush! Just rake through your locks with the fingers pulling the hair to the area where you want your knot to be.
Source: @lasselom via Instagram
Slicked Back Sides
Here’s another amazing combo that will suit basically any event, from casual to formal. It also allows the guys whose hair isn’t long enough to be tied in a top knot to sport a trendy hairstyle. Just slick the sides back while pulling the top in a knot and you’re done!
Source: @loriandson via Instagram
The Samurai Top Knot
The samurai top knot is a hairstyle that not anybody can pull off. But if you do, you’re guaranteed to be in the spotlight. This hairstyle will require a skilled barber to perform, so ensure you have one. To add sharpness to your look, complete it with a line up along your hairline.
Source: @shrunknheads via Instagram
The Full Head Bun Knot
Style your hair in a bulky bun knot that looks as if you’ve just jumped out of the bead. In addition to creating an impression of an abundance of hair, it makes you look careless and easy-going. To add a dose of smartness, put on some fancy glasses and pull on a trendy shirt.
Messy Knot With An Undercut And Beard
If a top knot is still a little bit controversial hairstyle for you, pair it with a true sign of virility and men power – a beard. It doesn’t really matter whether you’ll go with a fine stubble or luxuriant facial hair, as it will come out hot and attractive in any case.
Dutch Braids With Braided Knot
If your hair is of mid length, but you still want to sport man braids, Dutch braids are an easy way to style your hair. Make two thin Dutch braids starting from the top and sides of your head and continue until they meet. Keep going until all of your hair is braided. Form a top knot at the back of your head using the remains of the braid. Wrap it tightly, so it stays secure. Man braid buns are all the rage with men’s updo hairstyles.
Source: @alexmapeli via Instagram
Top Scaled Dense Knot
This hairstyle is for men with really dense locks. It helps to lighten up your mane without looking too bald. Tie your hair into a top knot while having the strip of the hair around the hairline trimmed. Thus, you will achieve a high contrasty look thanks to the striking difference in the length between the hair on the sides and top.
Source: @meha_barber via Instagram
Long And Curly
While with a classic knots hair style, you expect the hair on the sides and back to be short, it should not necessarily be that way. You can simply tie your top in a knot and let the rest of your locks hang freely, especially if you have curly tresses.
Asian Top Knot Hair
When it comes to a top knot the Samurai are the one and only to blame for its popularization. Thus, rocking a Japanese top knot is like paying tribute to the trendsetters.
Hidden Top Knot Men With Tapered Sides
Even if you have a rather strict dress code at work, you can still rock this popular men hairstyle by changing the way of how to tie a top knot. Just make it hidden and you are all set.
Half Up Knot
Another popular approach to nailing a top-knot man hairstyle is by pulling all of your hair through the elastic band and leaving it halfway. This half up knot is perfect for guys who are unwilling to chop off their locks on the sides.
Dreadlocks In A Knot
Dreadlocks are some of the most popular black hairstyles for both men and women. And dreadlocks styles for men go hand-in-hand with a stylish top knot. What makes this look even more debonair is a slick undercut for a look that is off the charts.
Source: @fernthebarber via Instagram
Long Curly Knot And Beard
Those who fear that a topknot hair style will make them less masculine can simply complement their look with a rough virile beard.
No matter how short your hair on the top of your head is, provided it can be tied together. You will still be able to pull off a top knot.
Shoulder Length Knotted Hair
When you are longing for a change but reluctant to trim your bob, a top knot comes into play. Gather your hair on top in a bundle and leave the rest of the locks loose.
Box Braids In A Bun
An awesome way to upgrade your box braids without sacrificing the style is by tying them in a top knot men hairdo.
Man Bun Undercut
A man bun undercut is a hybrid between a top knot and a bun. As it takes off less hair from the sides, it gives you a fuller yet less striking look than a top knot undercut.
Half Braided Updo
Knots hairstyles are versatile and convertible. You can transform almost any hairstyle in this fashionable half updo.
We hope our top knots for men have inspired you with some ideas for a bold and edgy brand new look!
What are top knots?
Top knots are a type of a men hairstyle that features a small bun on the top of your head with the rest of the hair trimmed short or left loose.
Are top knots still in 2020?
Even though a top knot hair style is not a brand new trend, it is still all the rage in 2020.
How do you do a top knot?
Before mastering how to do a top knot, you need to make sure that you have a proper haircut. The hair on top should be long enough so that you could tie it together. Once you have the required hair length, grab an elastic band and follow these steps:
1. Apply a couple of spritzes of a styling spray to make your hair more pliable and eliminate flyaways.
2. For a relaxed and effortless feel, comb your top hair with your fingers and push it all back.
3. Gather it in one hand like you are doing a pony.
4. Bring the elastic band over the base of your pony and pull it through halfway.
5. Twist the elastic band and tie it around the hair once more.
6. Wrap the ends of your hair around the base of your top not and secure them with bobby pins.
7. Finish off your hairstyle by spritzing it with a hair spray.
What’s the difference between a top knot and a bun?
A bun and a top knot differ only in the amount of hair you knot on head. With a bun, you gather all of your hair and tie it in a bundle, while a knot implies only tying the hair on top of your head.
Was this article helpful?